The First Congregational Church of Lebanon, built 1804-1809, was the prime focus of Barber’s 1835 drawing of the Lebanon Green. The structure in the foreground, which Barber did not mention, was the Tisdale school, named for its famous master, Nathan Tisdale (1732-1787). Tisdale’s reputation as a brilliant teacher attracted students to his Lebanon school from other colonies and as far away as the West Indies. The school building was torn down before 1844.