alt
Waterbury Town GreenJump to a pagePage 1 buttonPage 2 buttonPage 3 button

image 6_11

The Hotel Elton on the Waterbury Green, black-and-white photograph, circa 1910. Courtesy of the Mattatuck Museum, Waterbury, Connecticut.

image Waterbury QTVR
image 6_6

Welton Horse Fountain and Clock Tower, Waterbury Green, postcard, circa 1940. Courtesy of the Mattatuck Museum, Waterbury, Connecticut.   >>Get More Info

A

t one drive bond purchasers' reward for their patriotism was the opportunity to write their names on the fuselage of a Navy Wildcat fighter plane placed on the green specially for the event. In 1902 the elegant Beaux Arts-style Hotel Elton, now an assisted-living facility, opened its doors on the north side of the green. It became a widely known landmark.

image 6_12

Soldiers' Memorial Monument on the Waterbury Green, black-and-white photograph, 1901. Courtesy of the Mattatuck Museum, Waterbury, Connecticut.   >>Get More Info

  Among the most distinctive features preserved here today are the Welton horse fountain at the east end of the green, the Waterbury clock, and at the west end the Soldiers Monument crowned by a bronze Winged Victory.

Back To Exhibit Index
 
 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com