alt
New Haven Town GreenJump to a pagePage 1 buttonPage 2 buttonPage 3 button

image 2_11

Detail of Colony House or State House from View of the New Haven Green in 1800, oil on canvas by William Giles Munson, circa 1830. Courtesy of the New Haven Colony Historical Society, New Haven, Connecticut.

image 2_7

A Perspective View of the Three Houses for Public Worship on the Public Square, New Haven, hand-colored engraving attributed to Amos Doolittle, circa 1825. Courtesy of the New Haven Colony Historical Society, New Haven, Connecticut.

This view also shows the newly planted elm trees and the wooden fence completed in 1800. This fence was replaced by one of iron and stone in 1841.

A

  series of improvements to the New Haven Green indicate that the common was regarded by townspeople as an important asset early in its history. Grass was planted by 1654, and shade trees, including elms and sycamores, were added by the 1750s. Institutional architecture was another attribute: after New Haven was declared co-capital, with Hartford, of the Colony of Connecticut in 1701, the Connecticut State House (1717) was built on the green's northwest side.

  The common was also the site of the first Yale College building in New Haven, construction of which began in 1717. By 1815 the green had gained the trio of handsome church edifices (all built between 1812-15) fronting Temple Street, which bisects the common.

  The three churches, looking from left (southwest) to right (northeast) are the Gothic Revival Trinity Episcopal Church and the brick Georgian-style First Church of Christ (Center Church), both by the noted master builder Ithiel Town (1784-1844), and the United Congregational Church.

Jump To Next Page
image 2_2

New Haven, Conn. Comprising a View of the Episcopal and Presbyterian Churches, Statehouse and Yale College, hand-colored engraving by Illman and Pilbrow, New York, 1831. Courtesy of the New Haven Colony Historical Society, New Haven, Connecticut.    >>Get More Info

 
 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com