alt
Welcome to the Town GreenJump to a pagePage 1 buttonPage 2 buttonPage 3 buttonPage 4 button

image 1_8

Aircraft Spotters Cabin Erected on the Lebanon Green in February 1942, black-and-white photograph by Edwin Abel, circa 1942-1944. Courtesy of the Lebanon Historical Society, Lebanon, Connecticut. Gift of Edwin Abel.    >>Get More Info

  At the same time, the town common took on new importance as a permanent oasis of greenery. Often the focal point of an historic neighborhood, the green now serves as much-needed open space in a geography of strip malls and shifting business centers. Yet while town greens throughout the state endure as symbols of hospitality and tradition, these irreplaceable assets are also increasingly endangered by vandalism, traffic, road building, commercial zoning, and the other threats associated with an era of suburban sprawl.

 
Back To Exhibit Index

The town green means pride of place

  As downtowns increasingly moved or disappeared in the twentieth century, the meetinghouse green diminished in importance as a business center in Connecticut. Its central location, however, contributed to a continuing role as the focus of civic activities ranging from war bond rallies to peace protests.

image 1_3

Official Aircraft Warning System Armband Issued by the U.S. Army to Civilian Aircraft Spotters in Lebanon During World War II, circa 1942. Courtesy of the Lebanon Historical Society, Lebanon, Connecticut. On loan from Elsie Arson.    >>Get More Info

image 6_8

Waterbury Green Looking West, photograph, circa 1980. Courtesy of the Mattatuck Museum, Waterbury, Connecticut.

 
 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com