The First Congregational Meetinghouse, built between 1804 and 1809, was designed by the artist John Trumbull and is the only surviving example of his architectural work. Trumbull is best known for his paintings depicting great events of the American Revolution, including The Declaration of Independence. The style of the brick meetinghouse was inspired by English architecture. The interior of the building was highly Victorianized about 1875, but was restored to its original Trumbull design after it was nearly destroyed during the Hurricane of 1938.