Lebanon Town GreenJump to a pagePage 1 buttonPage 2 buttonPage 3 button

he belfry of the First Congregational Church looking northward is the vantage point for this view of the walking path on the east side of the Lebanon Green along Trumbull Highway (Route 87). The newly mowed section of the meadow has a golden glow where the hay was recently harvested.

To visit this mile-long swath of open hayfield is to imagine how a town common may have looked in the eighteenth century. Unlike most greens, the Lebanon Green in east- central Connecticut was never landscaped as a park. As a result it remains one of the most pastoral in the state; hay is still harvested here twice yearly.

The broad common, originally about two miles long, is situated on a tract set aside for a main street authorized in 1697. The purchase of the town plot was confirmed by the Connecticut General Court in 1705 and included land granted by the Colony of Connecticut and tracts acquired from individual Mohegan Indians.

Jump To Next Page

image 1_1

Lebanon Green, color photograph by Grant Huntington, 1996-97. Reprinted, by permission of the Town of Lebanon, Connecticut, from Around the Lebanon Green: An Architectural and Historical Review of Lebanon, Connecticut (1999).

image 1_5

South End of the Lebanon Green, black-and-white photograph, ca. 1856-1868. Courtesy of the Jonathan Trumbull Library, Lebanon, Connecticut. Gift of Mrs. Arthur Smith and Clarence Geer.    >>Get More Info

image 1_2

Hay Bales on the Lebanon Green, color photograph by Stacia Caplanson, 1999. Courtesy of the Lebanon Historical Society, Lebanon, Connecticut.    >>Get More Info


Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter
© 2001–2019