About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Greater Hartford > Hebron
Hebron Green

Select a Green:

Hebron was initially settled in 1704-1705 by settlers primarily from Windsor. It was incorporated as an independent body in 1708 and the town proprietors decided to build its first meetinghouse in 1714. In 1717, they agreed to layout the green 70 rods long and 20 rods wide at the east end and 24 rods wide at the west end. This wasn't actually done until July 7, 1718, and by then the first meetinghouse had been completed, but only after heated arguments over its location. According to Cole, the church was situated in the middle of the west end of the green. In 1747, the meetinghouse was burned by Moses Hutchinson, a paid incendiary, a response to the growing dissension in the church over the dissatisfaction of the minister, Reverend Bliss, and the concerns about whether to repair the deteriorating meetinghouse or build a new one elsewhere.

A new church was constructed on the same site the next year, and it served the town 81 years. A third church was erected in 1828-1829 on the present site of the church, but it was destroyed by the "Great Fire" of 1882. Today's Congregational Church was constructed that same year. The Methodist Church presently located on the east end of the green was built in 1838 on property deeded to the trustees of the church by Jonathan G. Page. It was later converted to the town hall and served as such until 1949. Today it is a living museum owned by the Hebron Historical Society.

The green was illuminated by electricity in 1827. It began its transition into a park in 1864 under E.P. Buell when it was graded and surrounded by a white picket fence, which was torn down by boys in 1888. Elm and maple trees were also planted. The green underwent considerable change in 1927 when major road improvements were made to the intersection and the green was significantly reduced in size.

The Hebron Green was established early in the history of the town and was the site of the first meetinghouse. However, its character was significantly negated in the 1920s when road improvements reduced its size to its present configuration. Despite this, it remains the focal point of the community and recognizable as a green.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com