About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Greater Hartford > Glastonbury
Glastonbury Town Green (Hubbard Green)

Select a Green:

Glastonbury, known as Glassenbury until the year 1870 and originally a part of Wethersfield, was incorporated in 1690. In 1692 land along Main Street (which was originally an Indian trail) was deeded to the town by John Hubbard and Samuel Smith for a cemetery and a meeting house and general public use. From an original grant of ten acres, about seven and one-half acres remain. The missing portions were repossessed by Smith and Hubbard descendents after the meetinghouse was relocated.

The first Congregational Church was constructed on the green in 1692 under the leadership of Reverend Timothy Stevens. It was destroyed by fire in 1794 and replaced by a second meetinghouse erected about .25 a mile south of the green. It was abandoned in 1836 with the division of the society and the establishment of South Glastonbury.

A town meetinghouse or the Old Town Hall was constructed circa 1835 on the west end of the green. It is presently leased by the Glastonbury Historical Society as a museum. There are historical references to school houses located on the green but no traces of them have been found. The first public school is said to have existed in 1701 and the old academy on the green was established in 1792.

By the turn of the 19th century, the green was referred to as the Town Park. It had been neglected; no routine maintenance existed. In 1900 the Glastonbury Park Association was formed to maintain the green. They began by planting trees and shrubs and caring for the grounds. The Town of Glastonbury assumes responsibility for the care and maintenance of the green today. However, the Glastonbury Park Association continues to serve as overseer and benefactor when necessary. In recent years a sprinkler system was installed with funds from the association.

The town green dates back to the establishment of the Society and appears today much as it did by the end of the 19th century. It is unusual in that it is not associated with a Congregational Church although it was created as a site for the meetinghouse which was originally erected on the green. It serves today as it always has as a center of community activities.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com