About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Litchfield Hills > Roxbury
Roxbury Green

Select a Green:

Roxbury was originally part of the town of Woodbury. The first Congregational Church in what is now Roxbury was constructed in 1732-1733 on a hilltop about 1.5 miles from the site of the present Congregational Church near the green in Roxbury Center. Roxbury Center began to develop as a distinct community in the 1780s when people from other sections of Woodbury began moving into the area. In 1795, the Congregational Church was moved to its present location and, in 1796 Roxbury became a separate entity when it became independent of Woodbury. In 1807, the Episcopal Church relocated to the new town center.

The principal road, Church Street, was apparently laid out about the time the new center was established. The boundaries of the original town common are clearly visible on either side of Church Street. It is approximately 200 feet wide beginning just northwest of the Congregational Church and continuing southeast for .6 mile to the top of a steep hill on Weller's Bridge Road. Either stone walls or picket fences mark the boundaries of the original common for most of its length. Mature trees provide shade on either side. The land is still owned by the town of Roxbury but maintained by individual adjacent property owners except for two triangular parcels immediately surrounded by roads at two intersections. These plots are maintained by the town.

The larger plot at the intersection of Church Street and Route 67 is considered the town green. It probably became an isolated triangle in 1830 when the Oxford Turnpike to Southbury and Oxford was constructed. The obelisk was erected by the state in 1858.

The small Roxbury Green is a remnant of the original common caught between intersecting roads. It appears to be little more than a traffic island, but it and the original common, a readily apparent feature of the historic landscape, are critical to the 19th century rural appearance of Roxbury.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com