About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Litchfield Hills > New Hartford
Town Hill Green

Select a Green:

New Hartford was originally one of the several townships known as the Western Lands. When the General Assembly divided it between Windsor and Hartford, the southeast part was allotted to Hartford and named New Hartford. The early settlers moved to the area in 1733. Town Hill Green is representative of this early settlement and is the location of the original land set aside as the common.

Town Hill Green is on a broad, level hilltop which is the highest point in New Hartford and almost on the exact geographic center of the town. The construction of the first meetinghouse began in 1739. Apparently the committee's report on choosing the site was not recorded in the proprietor's records but it was recorded in 1735 that three rods of land were purchased from Eleazer Goodwin bounded west and south by highways on Town Hill and that "the piece or parcel of land belonging to the proprietors of New Hartford be sequestered for commons forever." The acres of the new "common" were set aside for the burying ground. This suggests that the land originally set aside was larger than the present green.

A monument on the extant foundation of the second church built by the Society commemorates the site of this first church; "On this plot was raised, in 1739, the first meetinghouse of New Hartford, and on this very foundations the second church was built in 1829, after 1854 it was no longer used as a place of worship and was finally removed in 1929."

Sabbath-day houses at one time were constructed around the common according to a vote taken by the town in 1761 to allow "any inhabitant to set up a Sabbath-day house not nearer to the meeting house than ten rods."

The original burying ground is on Hoppen Road only a few hundred feet from the Town Hill Green.

Town Hill remained the center of town activity for about a century. About 1840 industrial development began along the Nepaug and Tunxis (now Farmington) Rivers in the valley north of Town Hill (along the present Route 44) and town activity and development began to move down the hill with it. Today Town Hill is a quiet, heavily wooded, rural community.

Town Hill Green is important as the original settlement of New Hartford, a rural, agricultural community. Town Hall Green, although smaller and quieter than in that first century, still reflects this aspect of New Hartford in its present-day setting.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com