About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Mystic & More > East Lyme
Liberty Green

Select a Green:

East Lyme was named in 1816 and incorporated from Lyme and Waterford in 1839. The town did not have a green until the 1920s when Stephen Bond, a prominent New York City stockbroker, purchased the site of the green and dedicated it to Old Lyme veterans, in memory of his sister, Marie Bond Dart. Mr. Bond was born in East Lyme and retired there after his career was over.

Today the green is the site of many local functions. The Federated Womens Club holds its country fair here and patriotic organizations hold yearly ceremonies on November 11 (Veterans Day). In addition, the green is a popular spot to simply sit, smell the salt water, and watch the world go by.

Liberty Green is a good example of a 20th-century green that is used for many of the activities historically associated with such greens.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com