About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > CT River Valley & Shoreline > East Haddam
Moodus Green

Select a Green:

In 1828, the Moodus Center School District was formed and the school house was built at the intersection of Plains and Falls Road. It was used until 1884 when it was sold and moved. Subsequently, Eliza Miller provided $2,000 in her will for a Civil War Monument styled after the soldiers monument in Wilbraham, Massachusetts. The monument was placed on the "village park or plain" on October 24, 1900.

Photographs taken during the early 20th century show the site as grassy and heavily treed. Highway engineering maps from the first half of the 19th century indicate that it was larger but as the state improved the highway system, it was reduced to its present configuration. A turnaround was added that separates the Constitutional Oak Tree from the green proper.

The Moodus Green was originally the site of a school house which was the focal point of the residential neighborhood around it. The green as an open space now serves as the focal point of the neighborhood and has for almost 100 years.

Around the green, particularly along Plains Road and Town Street, is a well preserved, cohesive, 19th-century residential neighborhood of architectural and historic merit. The buildings retain their historic form and appearance and possess a consistent scale and set back. As a result, they nicely frame the green on either side. Particularly worth noting is the Amasa Day House (c. 1816) to the northwest of the green that is owned by the Antiquarian and Landmark Society of Connecticut and used as a museum. Also noteworthy is the Erickson House to the south of the Day House. It was originally the Moodus Center School Building that stood on the green.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com