About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Waterbury Region > Watertown
The Green

Select a Green:
Shape and Size

Shape: Rectangle
Shape Details:

Size Class: Unspecified
Approximate Dimensions (LxW):
75' x 465' x 90' x 419'
Approximate Acreage:

Condition:
Excellent
Alterations: No
Alterations Details:
Removal of church, but retains early 19th century character

Features and Physical Description

Landscape Features:
Landscape Features Details:

Structures On Green:
Structures On Green Details:

Surrounding Environment: Residential

Interrelationship of Green and Surroundings:

Other Notable Features / General Description: 

Threats:
Threats Details: 

The green was the focus of a recent controversy regarding the future of the 1846 Academy building, owned by the church and in need of restoration. The church began to raise funds for restoration, but decided to stop work and announced its demolition. Thanks to a town demolition delay ordinance, protracted negotiations followed between citizens backed by the Historical Society, who favored its restoration, and the local church and the Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut, which wanted to demolish it. A rally of 150 people in May 1993 influenced the Watertown Town Council to get involved. The diocese offered, among other things, to sell the Academy to the Historical Society along with land on the green for parking. The local priest finally met with his vestry, and plans were announced to continue work on the old building, although nothing more appears to have been done yet.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com