About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > CT River Valley & Shoreline > Wallingford
Railroad Green

Select a Green:

When the railroad went through Wallingford northeast of city center, the railroad company purchased what is now Railroad Green and land surrounding it from Catherine Hayden in c. 1939. The Hayden House was used as the station until c. 1871 when the present station was constructed northwest of the green. It is generally thought that it was about this time that the buildings on the present green were demolished and it was landscaped as a public space. A post card of the green c. 1915 shows the green dominated by a large octagonal cobblestone bandstand on the site of the present one. Several mature trees provide shade, and around the edges is a clipped box shrub.

In 1984, the green and railroad station were deeded to the City of Wallingford by the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad. When the station was threatened with demolition, the public rallied and through a $75,000 grant and donated labor and materials, it was converted to a community center. The green has been recently landscaped through the efforts of the Wallingford Beautification Committee (formed in 19840 with funding from public and private sources and was dedicated as Wallingford Center Park.

Railroad Green (or Wallingford Center Park) was created in the 1870s when the present railroad station was constructed. It has become the focal point of a late 18th and early 19th century commercial neighborhood that grew up around it in response to the presence of the railroad station.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com