About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Greater New Haven > Trumbull
Long Hill Green

Select a Green:

Long Hill is a village within Trumbull that received winter privileges in 1740, joined with Unity in 1744 to become the Society of North Stratford, and became part of Trumbull in 1797 when the town was incorporated. The Pequonock River, situated west of the green, brought industry to Long Hill in the second half of the 19th century. The area around the green became the center of town in the later part of the century. A feed store, general store, post office and the Hall (used for worship from 1890 to 1902) and several houses were located near it. However, the green at Long Hill as we know it today was created by the realignment of the Newtown Turnpike and sold to the town in 1920. It was purchased by 23 residents with the condition that it would remain a "green or lawn" forever and that no buildings would ever be placed upon it.

Today, the area around the green is undergoing a transition from residential and small scale commercial establishments to larger scale, modern commercial buildings, encouraged by the Route 25 Connector that intersects the Newtown Turnpike north of the green.

Today's Long Hill Green is a product of road realignment in the early 20th century. However, an earlier version of it served as the focal point of activity in Long Hill in the last half of the 19th century. Recent highway construction has brought renewed activity to the intersection around the green and it is undergoing a transition that is changing its 19th century character.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com