About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Heritage Valley > Stafford
Stafford Green

Select a Green:

Stafford was settled in 1719, on land that was formerly used by the peaceful Nipmuck Indians. Stafford Street (originally named Broad Street) was laid out on a hill at the east side of town, with the expectation that it was to be the main street and center of the town. It was laid out 20 rods wide (332') in order to provide a green along with the roadway. Twenty-two home lots of 50 acres each were laid out along the sides of the "broad street."

At a town meeting on December 11, 1721, it was "voted to go on to build a meetinghouse as fast as may be with conuenency. . . ." It was completed in 1723 and for many years was the only meetinghouse in Stafford. The meetinghouse stood in what is now the middle of Stafford Street, toward the south end. A second meetinghouse was built in the 1770s and a third in 1840.

In the 1790s Miner Grant established a general store facing the green. At one time used as a post office, the building has been relocated to Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, Massachusetts.

On September 4, 1824, the Marquis de Lafayette came to Stafford and was entertained at the Old Hyde Tavern (now a residence) on Stafford Street.

Today the green provides a link to the town's past and serves as a reminder of days gone by.

The Stafford Green is significant as an 18th century green that is still entirely intact. Commemorative functions are still held here, the last being a parade in 1976.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com