About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Mystic & More > Sprague
Hanover Green

Select a Green:

The Hanover Society separated from the one in Norwich in 1763. At that time, two parishioners deeded to the society the property where the church, green and burying ground are presently sited. Around it grew a small crossroads community including the house at the northeast corner, formerly the Lisbon Inn; the Hanover General Store, razed c. 1920; a school house south of the present parish house, razed in 1966; and the several 19th century residence. The most recent addition to the green is the 20th century parish house.

The Hanover Green dates to the creation of the Hanover Society and has been the focal point of the rural crossroads community since it was established. It has suffered the loss of two buildings facing it in the 20th century which have significantly decreased the amount of activity around the green.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com