About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Greater New Haven > Prospect
Prospect Green

Select a Green:

Winter privileges were granted to those living in present-day Prospect by the mother community, Cheshire, in 1769. In 1778, the settlers withdrew from the Cheshire church and organized their own parish, the Columbia Society and either rebuilt a crude meetinghouse on the green east and north of where the library now stands, or constructed a new one. One acre of land on Prospect Hill was purchased from Abraham Hotchkiss on March 26, 1795, officially establishing the boundaries of the green. In 1798, the Prospect Congregational Society was formally established. The meetinghouse was used by the church until 1841 when a new one was constructed on the site of the present Congregational Church to the west of the green. It was built in conjunction with the Town of Prospect who used the basement for the Town Hall. Horse sheds were built behind it. The old meetinghouse was moved to a site on the south side of the square where it was used as the Methodist meetinghouse until 1858.

The fieldstone library on the green was a gift of the Tuttle family from Naugatuck, part owners of a Prospect company that produced malleable iron pieces (John Howard Whittmore, the generous benefactor who hired the architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White to design several buildings for the town of Naugatuck including a library, was his partner). It was built in 1903-04. Two years later, a new Congregational Church was built, also of fieldstone, when the earlier church burned.

About this time the Tuttle family was also responsible for landscaping the green and planting shrubs and trees. Prior to these efforts, the green has been described as "grass grown center with a road through the middle." The boundaries of the green have remained constant since then thanks to the town who rallied in 1931 to prevent Route 69 from becoming routed through it. A major addition to the green was the Civil War Memorial dedicated in 1907. The memorial was in part a gift from the State of Connecticut to Prospect because 70 men from Prospect fought in the Civil War, more than half the voting population and more men per capita than any other town in the state.

In November 1941, the fieldstone church burned and the present Congregational Church was constructed on the same site. In 1961 a new town hall was constructed on a site north of the green on lower ground facing Route 69 and recently a new library has been constructed on the knoll but away from the green. While this impacts the activity level around the green, the Community School, a fire and police station, and a senior center are still located on the knoll not too far from the green which guarantees that the green will remain an important fixture in the community life of Prospect.

Picturesquely sited on a knoll overlooking the valleys below, the Prospect Green dates to the establishment of the community. It remains the religious and historic center of the town despite the fact that four of the seven buildings around the green date from the 20th century.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com