About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Housatonic Valley > Redding
Redding Town Green

Select a Green:

The Redding Town Green represents a portion of land that was initially set aside for the minister in the early settlement of the community but was not actually used as a green until the district school on the site was converted to the Town Office Building in the mid-20th century. The ten acre lot was given for the use of the Congregational minister, the Reverend Nathaniel Hunn, in 1771 by John Read, Senior, and his son, Col. John Read. The property changed hands several times and was reduced in size.

When the original parade ground, the site today known as the Village Common, became too "congested" for military practice, the function was moved to the present Town Green. In 1860, a deed describes the property as "six acres, the Parade Ground," and in 1884, as "six acres and two Roods, known as the Parade Land."

In 1914, with World War One looming, the Redding Parade Association was formed and its trustees actually took title to four acres of the original 10 acre plot. It was used for the Home Guard, which was recently formed by the state, for military practice. In 1918, the land was sold to the Town for $1,000, the same price paid for it by the Redding Parade Association.

It was only after the town converted the district school into the present Town Office Building in the 1950s that the property in front and to the southwest of it along Lonetown Road was officially designated as the "Town Green." The green was landscaped as such at this time. The gazebo was a controversial addition, many people feeling that violated the historic integrity of the green. It was constructed anyway through funds supplied by the Republican Women's Club.

The Redding Town Green is a twentieth-century green appropriately located on a site that was long used for militia training. However, its recent creation is apparent by its layout and the 20th century buildings that border it.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com