About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Coastal Fairfield > Norwalk
Norwalk Green

Select a Green:

The present Norwalk Green was conveyed to the town by Timothy Hosford in 1760 as a site for the meetinghouse. By the time of the Revolution, there were three churches on or facing the green and several homes. All were destroyed when the British burned Norwalk in 1779. The area was rebuilt during the 19th century. The green itself was initially used as pasture and as an animal pound. In the late 19th century, it was planted and landscaped as a park and fenced to keep the animals out. A bandstand was added in 1901. Of the three churches which once faced the green. Two are still standing, St. Paul's Episcopal Church (1930) and the First Congregational Church (c. 1917). While the Congregational Church faces the green near its center on Park Street, the approach to the Episcopal Church is through their old burying ground which dates back to the first church on the site (1737). The burying ground is the only pre-Revolutionary element surviving around the green. The Norwalk Green was never the commercial center of Norwalk, but rather the site of churches and affluent homes.

The Norwalk Green was formally established in 1760 and was the focus of the British raid on Norwalk in 1779. The area was rebuilt and today the green -- appearing much as it did in the late 19th century -- is the focal point of a once affluent neighborhood in transition from residential to commercial use.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com