About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Mystic & More > North Stonington
Town Green

Select a Green:

The town of Stonington was established less than 20 years after the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth, Massachusetts. North Stonington grew out of the early coastal town as settlers moved inland. The settlement expanded as families took advantage of the fertile farmland. In 1807 the town (originally called Milltown) was incorporated.

Between 1790 and 1840 the village developed to its present configuration. A variety of industrial sites were located along the river, including a tannery and a sawmill used for cabinetmaking, the most common early craft in North Stonington Village.

Midway through the 19th century, industry began to decline and by the end of the Civil War agriculture provided the town's economic base. North Stonington has been an agricultural community ever since.

The Town Green, created in 1976, was the site of a former blacksmith's shop and cobbler's shop. Nearby on Main Street were a cabinetmaker's shop and a hatter's shop. The flagpole was erected at the dedication ceremony a few years later.

Three condemned houses were demolished to make room for the green.

The significance of North Stonington Town Green is derived from the fact that the early blacksmith's and cobbler's shops were located here. The green is in a historic district, listed in the National Register of Historic Places and the State Register of Historic Places.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com