About Us
       Site Help
       Contact Info
       DataCenter Info

            Site Search:
You are here: DataCenter > CT > Greater New Haven > North Branford
North Branford Town Green

Select a Green:

The Second Society of Branford, as the settlement in North Branford was originally called, voted to build a meetinghouse on a knoll on the west side of the river in May 1774. The area on the east side of the meetinghouse between it and the river was reserved for the burying ground. The meetinghouse was constructed on the present green and in 1727, the first school house was erected on the same tract of land. A second church was constructed in 1831 to replace the first one. When the chapel was built to the east of the church in 1807, the gravestones were moved to a second burying ground on Foxon Road directly across from the green. The second church burned in 1907 and was replaced by the present structure.

The small school house across Foxon Road from the green was originally built on the green in the mid-18th century when the first schoolhouse was still standing, so at one time a church and two schools occupied the present green. The first one was eventually torn down but the second one remained standing until it was relocated across the street in 1866 to make room for the present Civil War Memorial.

In 1966 the green was landscaped on plans by landscape architect Rudy Favretti. Mr. Favretti incorporated four existing evergreens (planted during the 1920s, 30s and 40s to be used as Christmas decorations) located in the front of the church, as well as the sugar maples at the northeast corner and the pin oak on the east side in with the new plan.

Memorial Day services take place on the green every other year, rotating with Northford. The ceremonies were instituted in the 1920s by the Civic Association.

The green is used for Memorial Day services and various outdoor functions by church and civic organizations.

The North Branford green is the historic center of the village dating back to the establishment of the Society in 1724. It is and always has been the site of the Congregational Church. The streetscape has been compromised by the intrusion of later structures that do not functionally relate to it, but it is still readily recognizable as the town green.

 

 
 

Home | GreenLink | Exhibits | DataCenter | Service Desk
© 2001 TownGreens.com